Thursday, April 16, 2009

Share and Voice: Becoming American

Hey Everyone!

I decided to watch another video from"Unnatural Causes...Is Inequality Is Inequality Making Us Sick?" titled "Becoming American". I chose this particular video because I can relate to it, since I am an immigrant.
Like the previous video we watched, this video discusses the correlation of race and health. This video focuses on Mexican Immigrants, unlike the other "In sickness and in Wealth", which focuses on African Americans.

The video was shot in in Kenneth Square, Pennsylvania, a very diverse area. It focuses on a specific family, I can't remember what their name is, and also did some research on their health and other Mexican population. It turns out that most immigrants are healthier than American, considering that they have few cases of psychotic disorders and other diseases such as cancer, and also less chronic illnesses. The main reason for this is the "family ties" , and also support from family friends. The video states that 1/4 Americans have ties with "social isolation", and this causes really bad health effects. I am going to keep this brief since it's share and voice. I have too much to say. :) I am actually planning on watching all these videos when I get a chance, this whole documentary seems very interesting.

Words:
Social Isolation: When people work harder than they ought to be working and are increasingly isolated, putting themselves at higher risk for diseases.

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. This is very interesting! I look forward to watching the rest of the videos as well! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that it is great that you watched another section of the documentary Unnatural Causes. I think that the section that you decided to watch sounds really interesting. I was shocked to hear that most immigrants are healthier than Americans. I guess I have been living with the stereotype that we are above everyone else. Thanks for the reality check!

    ReplyDelete