Thursday, April 2, 2009

Eye Opener: Photo Essay

Hello everyone!

Since I work at the UMD Dining Center's dish room I decided that I would like share some of the
environmentally friendly and unfriendly things about working there.

The DC is a decent place to eat at i think; it serves a variety of foods, for both vegetarians and regular consumers.






Like most dish rooms, its goal to clean all the dishes used by customers of the DC. When we receive a cart full of dirty dishes we make sure the left overs are well disposed. The left overs are well chopped by a machine, I am not sure where it is dumped.




Each dish, is well rinsed/scrubbed before they we run them through the washer.









When everything is cleaned and ready to use we place them here.



Overall, I think the Dish Room has been doing great staying environmentally friendly without even realizing it. The fact that everything is reused is great. I think they do a really good job keeping it clean as well. I think the Dish room needs to work on is water usage, there is SO much water used daily. I also think that we should use less disposable gloves and aprons. Maybe even use reusable plastic aprons.

Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. cool! I liked the "behind-the-scenes" of the DC. I was always curious!
    Good job Valerie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valerie,

    I really like your pictures! Especially the ones with you in action haha. Like Kathy said, I like how these show behind-the-scene of the DC. Very cool =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool post valerie! I have never seen what it looks like in the dish room in the DC, so that was kind of cool. I am very happy to hear that you reuse so much there, but I agree, there needs to be something done about the extensive water use. Also, I think that you are right, that there should be less plastic gloves and aprons used. That sounds like a big waste. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choice on your Photo Essay Valerie! This is very interesting to see into the DC and a little behind the scenes action. It looks and sounds like things are running smoothly there, and that they have a pretty good system in place in terms of both sanitary respects as well as environmentally freindly practices. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good idea! I guess I never really thought about how the DC is environmentally friendly by simply just reusing everything. They would contribute to a lot of garbage if they used anything else. Nice work Valerie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting post Valerie! I have never really thought about what was goin on behind cloded doors at the DC but I'm glad to hear that they are working at being envronmentally friendly! I think cutting down on the water usage is a great idea although I'm not sure how exactly they would do it. I liked how you offered some suggestions on how the DC could do even better! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete