Friday, April 3, 2009

Reflection: Weeks 9&10

Hey Everyone!

Wow, two weeks have gone by again....These two weeks went by faster because we only had class for one week, which made the week really easy. During week 9 we got an introduction on the Advocacy Project we'll be working for the rest of the semester. Advocacy is defined as the pursuit of influencing outcomes — including public-policy and resource allocation decisions within political, economic, and social systems and institutions — that directly affect people’s current lives, clearly stated by Wikipedia. Health advocacy is defined the same except that its goal is toward healthier lifestyle or environment. We also chose our political representatives for our advocacy project during week 9. As of right I only have four representative; President Obama, U.S. Senator Amy Klobuchar, Mayor of Minneapolis R.T Rybak, and Governor Tim Pawlenty. I don't know what I really want to advocate about right now since I there are plenty of options.

I didn't even realize when week 10 got was over since we didn't have class. We were assigned to do a photo essay; which at first I thought was going to be very complex, but it wasn't so bad. I did my photo essay on the UMD Dining Center's dish room since that's where I work. It's an idea that's always been in my head. I actually wanted to do a share and voice earlier in the semester, but I am glad I didn't because I would've repeated myself. It was nice eye-opener because I made me see things differently were I work at.

Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. Great reflection valerie! It was cool that you added the definitions of advocacy and health advocacy. It was nice to get a refresher of what the next big focus of our class is going to be on. I am glad you liked writing your photo essay, because I really enjoyed reading it. I was really fun to see what the UMD dish room is like, and what really goes into cleaning the dishes used in the DC. Great job these last two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right!!! It is crazy that we once again had 2 weeks just fly by. It was a nice additional little break for the semester, but I am eager to get back into class and get things going again. See you there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not having class for week 10 really made things seem short. However it seems like these weeks have been going by very quickly from the start of week one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post Valerie! I liked that you went into more detail about what advocacy and health advocacy is. I don't know what I want to advocate for yet either but I'm sure it will come to us!

    ReplyDelete