Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Eye Opener: Ecological Footprint

The quiz I took was EarthDay Footprint Quiz. While taking the quiz I thought I would have a decent score because I don't have a car yet, and walk to school since I live on campus, also I consume less processed food. I was astonished when my results said if everyone lived like me we would need 3 planets to provide enough resourses! Here I am thinking I know plenty other people who live like me; or even worse. What does mean to our poor planet? It also said it would take 13.5 global acres(14.1 tons of carbon dioxide) of earht productivity area to to support my life style; that struck me aswell. I was also suprise I ranked highest on service, I thought I would rank highest on food and shelter instead. I ranked lowest in mobity since i dont have a car. It got me thinking my results are bad enough righgt as it is; when I get a car how worse are the going to get? This quiz was definitely an Eye Opener for me. I don't really know how I can adjust my behavior but to reduce the amout of trash I produce.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Valerie great post! This quiz was an eye opener for me too. I cant beleive how much our lifestyles effect our earth no matter how good we think we are doing. Keep up the good work and good luck with trying to reduce your footprint!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure there are lots of behaviors you could adjust. Keep us posted on what you find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Valerie! Nice work on the post. It's awesome to know that you don't have a car...even though that may be difficult at times to get somewhere but you are for sure having a positive impact on the emission side of our planet. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Valerie! Nice job on your post I really like the picture you put on! It's great that you use public transportation to get around, I do have a car but I really try to carpool a lot. It is really something to think about what you said about how many people we all know that live worse and don't do anything to help the environment. p.s no problem about the reminder I know you joined class late and it's probably hectic trying to catch up. Good work so far!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job Valerie! I was shocked as well when I recieved my results. I also thought that I was living a pretty "green" lifestyle, but I guess I was wrong. I think that cutting back on your trash is a great idea. Maybe you could try composting. I also think that I am going to try that, I know that my roommates and I accumulate WAY too much trash. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete