Friday, February 13, 2009

Review 15: Feeding the World

Hey everyone!

"Feeding the World", the first thought that came to mind as I read the title of this article was world famine; which of course led to think about Africa, mainly because of the way the media portrays and focuses most of its attention of Africa when it comes to world hunger, but also because I am an African origin. It makes me sad because I see the media doing its part about portraying famine in my continent, but misses a whole other part of Africa that most people, in my opinion, greatly fail to see. I wasn’t surprise that Africa was mentioned after all, even though it was at the last couple paragraphs. I am not saying is not a good awareness., besides I appreciate it. Anyways I found this article easy to read. I understood it for the most part.

The article "Feeding the World" introduced society’s four transitional stages; which are based on demographics, economics, agricultural productivity and technological advancements according to economist, ranking from bad/ok to better socio-economics status. The first stage called the traditional society; the second stage is the developing stage. According to the article, at the third stage, the rise in agricultural and production bring economic surpluses that allow growth in capital per capita income. Stage four, the final stage where every country is preferably to be at, is referred as the mature stage.

This article was divided into four other sections. One of them was Evidence for Negative Population Growth; which basically talked about fertility rates. It projected rates from different regions of the world but focused mainly on the UN. It stated that the UN has a l
ow/medium scenario that predicts fertility; averaging 1.9 children per woman for all regions by 2025. The low/medium scenario also projects a peak world population of 7.9 people in 2050, declining to 6.4 billion by 2150. The next section was Future Food Supply/Demand Balance. The “Alternative Scenarios for Global Food Supply and Demand” shows limited food demand projections from 2000 to 2150. Also projects food supply based on a continuation of 1961-1999 yield trends with no augmentation in crop are. The other section was Protecting the Environment. I didn’t completely agree with the theory in the section. It stated that lower-income consumers don’t take into future considerations about environmental protection; on the other hand higher-income consumers demand more efforts to protect the environment. I think it’s somewhat sensible, but they shouldn’t assume that about everyone.

The last section was basically a sum up of the other ones, which shared the challenges ahead. One thing that I came to my attention was that Africa’s population will continue to rise, even under the UN’s
low/medium scenario, approaching 2 billion people in 150 years, which to me is kind of ironic to me because of its death rates.


This is a global food supply and demand graph from 1998-2008

I liked reading this article; I wasn’t really moved by much.It was predictable for the most part I think , well except for the Protecting the Environment section.

I didn’t really find any words that were challenging or didn’t know.

Thanks for reading!

16 comments:

  1. Valerie - I agree with you that your social standing doesn't necessarily have an impact on what you can do to help the environment. If a person is truly motivated and has the passion to help, that's all they really need!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your comment about the theory in the Protecting the Environment section because it made me stop and think about it again. The first time I read the article, I did agree with the idea of higher-income citizens being able to do more for the environment, but now I've decided that is an over generalization. Yes, people with higher incomes may have money to donate to environmental causes, but just because people can't be monetary donors doesn't mean they can't contribute! Citizens with lower incomes can still do their part. In fact, they may have a smaller carbon footprint because they are more thrifty with their resources!

    ReplyDelete
  3. valerie-

    I agreed with Hannah in thinking that higher income families should help out more! But really, everyone can help as much as possible. Only high income families really isn't going to solve anything in the end result because they are only a portion of the problem and I definitely don't think that money alone is going to solve a lot, even though many of the things that we need involve money. Getting everyone involved is the most important. Great post!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Valerie,

    I also think it's sad that the media portrays Africa in a way that symbolizes "hunger" or "starvation." Many people don't realize that certain parts of Africa are indeed advanced. I also like how you criticize certain parts of the article. It's easy to agree or believe everything you read, but when you critique it shows that you actually have an opinion, so good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also agree with Hannah and Heather. I think that the people with higher incomes may have money to donate to environmental causes, but it doesn't mean they actually contribute. Also that citizens of all income levels can still do their part to help the environment, every little bit helps. Maybe the lower income people would even have a smaller carbon footprint because they are more thrifty with their resources.
    When thinking about this situation I like to think about the celebrities...they have tons of money, numerous cars, and experience the finest dining yet you rarely hear about how what they're doing to help the environment. So sometimes, even if you have a higher income it doesn't always mean you'll be contributing the most. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Valerie- I agree with you both in this review, and with what you said in class today regarding the lower-income and higher-income citizens being environmentally friendly. I guess I always thought that lower income people made a better contribution to the environment than higher-income people. Either I was backwards, or this article just didn't review all angles.
    I am not sure how I feel about Africa always being brought up...it is good to know what is going on in the world, but then again, I feel like a lot of the media's stories regarding Africa are negative....you brought up a great discussion piece and gave me something to think about.
    --S

    ReplyDelete
  7. Valerie - I totally agree with you that it is terrible the way the media portrays things the way they want the world to see it, or just to make it more interesting or dramatic. It is good to recognize things like that for what they truely are.

    I also was not surprised by the information in this article. The way we have been living and the things we have been doing to our environment have pointed to these outcomes all along.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Valerie!
    Way to start the discussion in class today. You had a good point about the reading when they stated that low-income people may be "less-green". There are a lot of things to consider for that statement!
    This was a good review (I think you might have to label this post Reading 15)
    Anyways, do you think that we will ever be in stage 4? It almost seems impossible! I am glad you mentioned Africa, a continent that is very interesting to look at for this topic. I also liked that you put up a graph for this! Great visual and easy to read. Good job Valerie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Valerie~Way to be bold and brave by putting yourself out there today in class! You really made a good point and I am pretty sure you got a lot of people thinking a different way! I also liked on how you used a graph in your review as well, I wish I would have thought of that! Very good review keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Valerie-
    Good Post! I liked the graph it helps put the food supply/demand into perspective. I think that everyone needs to start doing there part in order to help out the environment. Whether it is big or small we can all do something and together it will become something huge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good idea to include that graph. Always a helpful tool to help someone understand the situation a little better. I think Al Gore could take the situation of overpopulation and diminishing resources and turn it into a pretty influential documentary. But I hope people realize this problem before something like that needs to be done. Nice job on the post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Valerie-

    Your did a great job on this review, I enjoyed reading your post and really like how you brought the idea of how people misinterpret what they see and read. "It makes me sad because I see the media doing its part about portraying famine in my continent, but misses a whole other part of Africa that most people, in my opinion, greatly fail to see. I wasn’t surprise that Africa was mentioned after all, even though it was at the last couple paragraphs. I am not saying is not a good awareness., besides I appreciate it. " This was really great and made me think even more about my own personal paradigm! I think your review was outstanding and challenged my thinking:) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Valerie,
    WOW! Your blog is looking so pretty! I really appreciated your insight on Africa's position in the whole food supply situation; it definitely helps me to see all aspects of the potential problem. I didn't think of how Africa's population will continue to rise, even with the high death rate. That IS ironic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey you made some really good points! I agree with what you said, I think they need to be careful how they word things. I don't think people with lower income care less about he environment?! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job with your post! I really like how you brought your own African origin into your reaction to this post. It is very facinating to hear your reaction to what is written about Africa. It really intrigued me when you said, "It makes me sad because I see the media doing its part about portraying famine in my continent, but misses a whole other part of Africa that most people, in my opinion, greatly fail to see". I thought that that was really interesting. We really need to get to know the bigger picture. I also liked that you stood up for the lower income population. I think that both lower income people and higher income people can make the same impact on the earth.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Breaking down the four stages that the author points out is a nice touch.

    The first stage traditional society;

    the second stage is the developing stage.

    third stage, the rise in agricultural and production bring economic surpluses that allow growth in capital per capita income.

    Stage four, the mature stage



    With these four stages that you put into the blog post I was able to understand the direction of the aritcle. That every country should be in stage four, the mature stage. It is important to have a self sustaining country, as often times if you rely on someone else you can be let down.


    It is true that low-income spenders are not thinking about the environmental concerns those products contribute. Organic foods are very expensive, but it is hard to know if you do not see it the benifits orgaincs have. If something is priced higher I often believe that their marketing it orgainic to put a higher price tag on it. I really doubt all products truly living up too their name of orgainc, and completly environmentally friendly. I would have to see their farms and have more information about the company that is claiming to be orgainic, before I go and spend so much on their easily obtained product.

    ReplyDelete