Thursday, April 30, 2009

Reflection: Weeks 13 & 14

Hello everyone!

I can't believe we're almost done with the school year! The past two weeks have once again been more relaxed than I thought they would.

We started week 13 by watching a short video called the "Story of Stuff" by Annie Leonard. It was a funny yet educative video. We also had to write the Issue Overview of our Advocacy Project. I thought it was going to be a really challenging assignment, but once I started working on it, it just came to me easily. While working on this assignment, I learned more about my issue. Which is: there are plenty of people in this country with no health coverage due low income. The goal is for everyone to receive access to quality health care services.
We got to go to Bagley Nature Area during week 13 also. It was a fun learning experience, we got a chance to be adventurous, walking trough woods, and learning how to track our steps . Even though I had no idea what I was doing I still fun.

During week 14 we had a guest speaker named Raelene Horvik, a graduat
e student in UMD's Environmental Health and Safety Master's Program. He talked about his experience working as in the field of Environmental Health, and also explained about the opportunities with focusing on Environmental health as your field of study. We also had a chance to write a letter to our political representative explaining our issue briefly and asking them to vote "yes" on the bill supporting our advocacy project.
I didn't get a chance to go to class on Thursday during week 14, but looking at the calender, we were going to work on a "Repurposing" activity and have a "Junk Competition". I am sure it was a lot of fun, sucks that I couldn't make it.
I can't believe we only have two weeks left, I am looking forward to it and can't wait school is over. Have a great weekend!

Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. I am glad that you had so much fun these last two weeks. I agree that it has been a lot more relaxed. I really enjoyed watching the video, the Story of Stuff. It was really informative. I also enjoyed walking around outside last Thursday, and learning how to navigate. I am bummed that you missed the "junking challenge". It was a really funny and laid back class period. Well just two more weeks to go. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, these last two weeks were a lot of fun to me too. I like how we get to look at new and interesting things that are all around us, but have not really been exposed to before...the story of stuff and "Junking" being two examples. Good luck with the rest of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I would have seen that Story of Stuff movie, but I think I've acquired the aspect of what it was about after these couple weeks. I'm looking forward to the next two weeks of class. Well I guess only like one day of class left.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weeks 13 and 14 were a lot more relaxed and I had a lot of fun too. Going to Bagley was a lot of fun I've never done that for a class before and it was nice not being in a classroom for once-good luck with the rest of your classes

    ReplyDelete