Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Final Reflection!!!

Once again, Hello Everyone.... for the last time...

:) don't let all the writing overwhelm you....I just had a lot to say..<3
.

I've never experienced a "bitter-sweet" feeling in any class since I started college, though it's just a year ago. Like we all say, "there's a first time for everything" so I'm guessing this is mine for a happy/sad end of a class in college. Like I mentioned in my first reflection of this class, I wasn't planning to take this at all initially. It was a last minute decision just because I needed credits.
Looking at my schedule, all I paid attention to was "
Health 3500" since that's what's written on the "4-year-plan" catalog. After two weeks of classes I finally got into this class; I wasn't sure what to expect from this class after the first discussion we had about reading 1 "The Challenges We Face" which was a basic overview of environmental issues faced worldwide.

Anyway, as the class went on I really started enjoying the discussions, Documentaries, Eye Openers and Share and Voices. My favorite category was the
Eye Openers. The specific eye opener that opened my eyes the most was "Ecological Foot Print " which basically summed up my effects on our planet. I was very surprised that it would take 3 planets to support us if everyone were to lived like me. The documentary I think challenged my thinking the most was the series of "Unnatural Causes Is Inequality Making us sick". The series compelled me to think more critically of our society as a whole, considering that there are some who are living way better lives when we could be somewhat be "equalized" eventually.

The last couple of weeks of class were way more chilled compared to the whole semester.
I like how we started of a little intense then slowly the demands of the class became more chilled as we got used to blogging, and understood the assignments better. So "pat on the back"
Dr. V. :).....
During week 15 and 16, we got introduced to "junking/repurposing"
and got a chance to meet Sue Whitney, Author & Owner of JunkMarket. She explained to us how her business came about and gave us brief instructions on junking.

On the last day of class, 5/8/09, we shared our ideas on what we've learned in this class and how it has affected us, if it has at all.
Overall, I think this class was the most educative class I've taken in college so far; speaking in terms of having a more rounded view of our world. It was not only about staying "green" like I expected, but also about being more aware of other political and environmental issues in our societies. As the class went on I enjoyed commenting on blogs, instead of dreading them...a good sign of learning. :)

Thanks to my group members Brenda, Shannon, Noah, Samantha, and Sara H for participating on my blog site. And also everyone else..... Have a Great and Safe SUMMER everyone! I am sooo looking forward to summer... as usual...:)

3 comments:

  1. Great last post! I agree that the end of this class is bitter/sweet. This class was both challenging and fun. Who knew that we could actually make and maintain a blog! I remember that you struggled at the beginning with blogging, just like me, so congrats on all of your hard work! Great job throughout the semester, and I hope you have a wonderful summer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice final reflection Valerie. It is indeed a bitter-sweet feeling, and it has been a pleasure being in your web group to get the chance to read your postings each week. Have a great summer!

    ReplyDelete