Monday, February 23, 2009

Eye Opener: Review of Reading # 10

I was assigned to read chapter 10 “Scientists Say a Quest for Clean Energy Must Begin Now”. It was a very short article but a little hard to understand. I got the main point but I had to read it twice to fully understand it. I was struck by a lot of the facts in the article but the opening of this article struck me the most. It stated that “to supply energy needs for 5o years from now without further influencing the climate, up to three times the total amount of energy now generated using coal, oil, and other fossil fuels will have to be produced using methods that generate no heat-trapping greenhouse gases, says the scientist in today’s issue of the journal Science”. I couldn’t help but imagine how much our current source of energy is hurting the environment.

The article mentions that the Kyoto Protocol would be a good way to go to produce clean energy; it includes binding deadlines for modest cuts in gas emissions. According to the article the Bush administration has refused to accept the Kyoto Protocol, calling for more research, which according to some experts would require way more attention and money.

I think it’s very unfortunate that the US hasn’t signed the Kyoto Protocol, considering that it is the nation that produces the most emissions. This article was very educational for me; I didn't know much about the Kyoto Protocol until now.


Terms


Kyoto Protocol:
An agreement on global warming reached by the United Nations Conference on Climate Change in Kyoto, Japan, in 1997. The major industrial nations pledged to reduce their emissions of greenhouse gases between 2008 and 2012.



4 comments:

  1. Ya I agree with you Valerie, that is unfortunate that the US has put this topic aside with all things considered. I did not know about the Kyoto Protocol either before this, but now I do with looking more into this from you have talked about, so very nice job :) Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree that it is very unfortunate that the Bush administration did not accept the Kyoto Protocol, when the United States is making a huge amount of the gas emissions that are putting the earth in danger. I also didn't know anything about the Kyoto Protocol before this, so I am very glad that I got to read your article, and learn some about it. Great job on your post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what the Bush administration was thinking when he denied the Kyoto Protocol. He was never very interested investing in scientific studies which I think led to him having mixed feelings about global warming because it deals a lot with scientific studies. Now that Obama is in office he plans to disperse more fundings for science so maybe we'll see a change in the Kyoto Program for the U.S. Nice work Valerie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you the Kyoto Protocol seems like an obvious choice. The bush administration should have taken the time to look into it and made the US part of it. Good thing we have a new administration! Great job on your post it was was very informative and you explained everything very well!

    ReplyDelete